Car Accident Attorney in Chicago
Take the Right Legal Steps After an Accident
When you have been injured in a car accident due to the negligence or recklessness of another driver, your car accident lawyer Chicago will advise you to take certain steps following the accident. Taking the correct legal steps after your accident is extremely important in your ability to protect both yourself and your right to damages recovery.
According to the Illinois Department of Transportation, 991 people were killed in Illinois accidents while another 85,031 were injured in 2013 alone. Of those who were injured, 12,299 suffered injuries that were characterized as catastrophic and incapacitating. These injury types left people with the inability to walk or not being able continue doing the activities they normally could prior to their accidents. In a majority of these accidents, the cause was due to the careless or reckless driving of an involved driver.
The Law Governing Car Accidents
Illinois law regarding car accidents helps in determining fault when an accident has occurred. Every driver owes a duty of care to others who are also on the road. When a driver breaches the duty owed, they may be held to be civilly liable through a resulting lawsuit. In order to prevail in a car accident case, an injured plaintiff will need to be able to prove that the duty was owed to them, that the other driver’s actions constituted a breach of that duty, that the breach caused the accident, and that they suffered actual harm as a result of it. Your car accident lawyer Chicago will review the facts of your case to determine whether a breach existed on the part of the other driver and if that breach caused the harm that you suffered.
Driving Behaviors That May Breach the Owed Duty
There are several different driving behaviors or actions that may cause another driver to breach the duty owed to you in causing your injury accident. Examples of such negligent actions include all of the following:
- Texting or talking on a cell phone while driving
- Driving while drunk or while on drugs
- Speeding or driving too fast for the weather
- Drowsy driving or falling asleep while driving
- Aggressive driving, such as passing on the right, passing in no-passing zones or tailgating
When a driver causes a serious accident due to such negligence or recklessness, the injured victims have a right to seek the recovery of damages as a result. A car accident lawyer Chicago can help you to seek and recover the damages from your accident.
The Steps You Should Take After an Accident
There are several steps people should take immediately following a car accident if they are able to do so. Often, people are in shock from having been involved in a car accident, so it may be a good idea for people to carry this list as a checklist that they keep in their vehicles for easy reference. Taking these steps can improve the chances that a case will be successful.
- Call 911 and stay at the scene of the accident. Never leave the scene of an accident before help arrives. Doing so can expose you to criminal penalties.
- Check for injured people and try to help them. Make sure not to move those who are injured unless there is a life-threatening fire or other emergency.
- Get the other driver’s insurance and identity information and write it down. Getting the other driver’s information should also include notes about their vehicle’s license plate number and the make, model and approximate year of their car. If you can, take photos of the damage to both their car and yours.
- Get the contact information of any witnesses who saw the accident. Collecting the information of witnesses is very important, as it will help your attorney find them later to help in your case.
- Give your side of the story to the police officer, and do not talk about the cause of the accident with the other driver. What you say at the scene could be later used against you by the insurance company.
- See your doctor even if you initially do not think you are injured. Some car accident injuries may not show up for hours or even days. It is important that you go get a complete physical examination to check for injuries even if you initially do not believe you suffered any.
Contact a Car Accident Lawyer Chicago
It is important after a car accident that you make sure to take the right legal steps quickly and within the statute of limitations so you retain your ability to file a lawsuit. Getting the help of a car accident lawyer Chicago can help you to improve your chances of recovery and can help to maximize the amount of your damages. To contact a car accident lawyer Chicago at The Law Offices of Haytham Faraj, call us toll-free at (800) 809-1581.
In 2012, according to statistics published by the Illinois Department of Transportation, approximately 886 people were killed in car accidents in the state. In addition, more than 60,000 were injured. Many of the accidents that cause these devastating injuries and deaths are the result of careless or reckless behaviors on the part of a driver involved.
Schedule a Free Consult with Our Chicago Injury Attorney
Contact our law firm today to set up an initial, free case review with a member of our celebrated legal team. Attorney Haytham Faraj is a dedicated attorney who is the 2014 recipient of the American-Arab Anti-Discrimination Committee (ADC) Pro Bono Attorney of the Year Award. A former service member and military defense lawyer in the United States Marine Corps, he is known for his hard work and commitment to his clients’ best interests and well-being.